Anyhoo, crunchy floors are just one reason I'm breaking up with breakfast cereal. Here's some more:
1. It's expensive. Even with coupons.
2. The boys polish off a box in one breakfast.
3. My shopping cart has no room left for vital nutrients after we pass the cereal isle.
4. Someone always finishes the "good" cereal stirring up word wars, whining and those self-pity "Woe is me, I'm going to starve, no one loves me" fits.
5. The more I read and research, the more I'm convinced that we need to cross cereal off of our shopping list permanently.
Now, I know it's yummy. Trust me, I've been known polish off a bowl of the stuff at any given time of day. Not only is it yummy, it's also easy to fix. The kids can serve themselves, it's fast and it's simple.
I have no illusions of this being an easy change in our household. No siree Bob. This break-up might even evoke the shedding of a few tears. But, just like dating, there's other fish in the sea....or in our case other food in the fridge.
Medical research continues to show that a whole-foods, (primarily) plant based diet is essential for optimal health. Such research clearly makes (most) cereals bad guys, since cereal is one of the most highly processed foods we can eat. Haven't you ever wondered how they take a grain of wheat, corn or oats and turn it into something puffed, colored and coated with every flavor imaginable?? A whole foods diet implies that the food you eat most closely resembles the food in it's origin as a whole. You don't open up a colorful box of crispiness and pour out a bunch of wheat berries and corn kernels, now do ya??
My plan is to slowly phase the cereal out of the pantry. What will take it's place?? Most likely, oatmeal, homemade granola, smoothies, homemade whole-grain pancakes/waffles, eggs and Ezekiel toast. There are also a great number of suggestions on Pinterest and on this webpage.
If you are interested in reading more about why cereal might not be the wisest breakfast choice, check out these links:
What do you think??? Have you made the switch?? If so, how did it go?? Do you have any suggestions?? Please leave a comment ~ We'd love to hear from you!!